Lesson 1 - What is Law?
Why do people obey the law?
Law abiding citizens obey the law for a variety of reasons. They may have a strong religious or moral view; they may be afraid of being caught or arrested; they may feel shame of going to prison or damaging their future employment prospects.
Why do we need laws?
The short answer to why we need laws is life would be chaotic without them. The young, ill, elderly and minorities may suffer if not protected.
Discrimination case and how law protected worker
Did you know:
- The age to buy alcohol is 18.
- The age to get married is 16 with parental permission, 18 without (except in Scotland, where it's 16 with or without parental consent).
- The age of sexual consent is 16.
- Cigarette purchase age was recently changed from 16 to 18.
- It is illegal to watch broadcast television without a licence. The BBC does not run adverts and is instead funded by these licence fees.
- Age to get a driving license for a car is 17; 16 for mopeds or small agricultural tractors. A driving license is not required on private land